Life Perspective: Why You're Here (At This Stage of Life)

 

(The following has two reasons for existence. First, I have been pondering Philippians 1:25-26 for the last year, especially since I am growing older. This is part of my personal reflections for myself. Second, this is also for my congregation as we prepare to ordain/install new deacons and an elder and recognize many other church ministry leaders in our congregation on 8 September 2024. You can listen to this here: "Remain and Continue.") 

[24] But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. [25] Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, [26] so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again. (Philippians 1:24-25)

Brothers and sisters, life is given to us for the service of others. I know that our chief end is to glorify God and enjoy him forever, but we’re also made to live in service of others. And that recognition says quite a bit to us about our social relations, and it speaks to our perspectives on the recent invention called “Retirement.” That kind of retirement you see when a high-dollar RV goes chugging down the road with the bumper sticker that says, "We're spending our children's inheritance." Christian life, given to us twice over (life and new life) is for the service of others. And this comes through clear as day in Paul’s words in Philippians 1:25-26.


Remain and Continue (1:25a): Paul is certain he will survive his incarceration. Now, once he’s released he could just walk away when it’s all done, “Whew! I’m beat. I gave a ton for Jesus and his church, but now I just need to disappear and fade away. I’ve gotta show myself some love, right?” But, instead, he already knows that when he is released his life is for the service of others, “Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all.” There are days and weeks and months – and sometimes, maybe years – where we just want to crawl back into our comfy little holes and hunker down into ourselves and our shelters because living with and for others is risky. We get hurt. We get burned. We get disillusioned. But, like Paul, Jesus got hold of us – we who have often burnt him, hurt him, disappointed him – and he remains and continues with us. That reshapes our outlook, and helps us to keep from feeling sorry for ourselves. “I know that I will remain and continue with you all.” And he will remain and continue for progress and joy!

 

Progress and Joy (1:25b): He has direction, a "Rest-of-my-life" kind of direction, “for your progress and joy in the faith.” Our purpose, our objective is for other believers, these brothers and sisters sitting here with us and in our church, so that they will progress forward, with ever increasing joy in the faith. Whether teaching Sunday School and Catechism class, singing special songs that edify the church, throwing our shoulders into some task to bring relief, or shepherding our people with the grace and peace of God, it’s all “for your progress and joy in the faith.” Why, as a dad or mom, do you persist in life with your kids, teaching them, disciplining them, talking with them? Isn’t it ultimately for their progress and joy in the faith? Why, as a retired senior, do you still serve as a deacon or involve yourself with church at all? It’s all for your Christian family’s progress and joy in the faith. But there’s more, because you’re wanting to give them ample cause.

 

Ample Cause (1:26): “so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.” This service, that ministry, those tasks, this season of sitting and grieving together, or giving tithes, or adding your muscle and sweat to their project, is “so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.” Does our coming to be with people, worshipping with them, living with them give them ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus by our being with them? Or does our coming to them cause them to cringe?


And, from here (1:24-26) Paul will launch into the central part of the letter in 1:27-2:11:

"Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that ... I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, ... complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. ...

The Gospel is the foundation that holds up Paul’s living purpose, the heart that pumps life blood into his resilience. And it should for us, as well.


This passage has affected the way I am thinking about my own future, now that I'm 63. And it is impacting me in many ways. For example, as I consider my sermons, "Lord, will this sermon be for their progress and joy in the faith, so that in me they'll have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus because I've spoke these words and have been with them? Please, Lord!"

 

Maybe you should look over at your spouse, look around this room, or go through our church directory and say to yourself, “I’m here for your progress and joy in the faith to give you ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus.” Or think of our Life at Heritage: Truth, worship, and Christian love that will equip us in making disciples who will belong and believe with us as we grow in truth, worship, and Christian love. Disciple-making, belonging and believing together in truth, worship, and Christian love is for others to have ample cause to glory in Christ because of us.  Finally, today, not only are we ordaining some deacons, and installing several deacons and an elder, but we are recognizing those serving in our Heritage ministries. To you being ordained, installed, and recognized I specifically say, let this be your focus as you serve in whatever capacity: “Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.”

Pastor Mike

{Note: Posted on 5 September 2024; edited to make it a bit more readable on 6 and 8 September}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?" (Rev. Ed.) by John Fea. A Review

"Ah, Lord! We are Animated by Anger and Anxiety, Fear and Fury..."