A "Prep Kit" for that Unhappy Procedure - A Review

 

I know it's not the subject you normally bring up in decent company. But I have to have one of these about every two years because of a chronic ailment that I was diagnosed with way back in 1993 (I had symptoms long before that, likely in 1985 or earlier, but it kept getting misdiagnosed).

Colonoscopy!

There, I said it. Which leads me to talk about that most uncomfortable day before the procedure. Thankfully the day of the colonoscopy is more manageable because of the anesthesia. But prep day can feel like a freight train is running down into your gut and slamming - full-steam - into your intestinal tract. It's the one day I despise!

But this year, my new GI doctor suggested I try "Happy Colon with Laxatives". I was skeptical. I don't want a prep-failure and thus to be forced to return in two weeks. I want it all to work this time so I don't have to do this blasted thing again for two years. So, yes, I was skeptical.

But, I thought it worth it to take a gamble, and I'm glad I did. I followed all of the directions and got a "patient's preparation was good" report from my GI doctor! Yippee! So, what was different with this approach from the standard starve-all-day-drink-gut-wrenching-laxatives approach?

In a nutshell, the "Happy Colon" approach was different in two ways: (1) I got to eat (lightly) throughout the day (they provide *all* of the edibles), and (2) the laxative was gentler and easier on my gut (again, they provide all of the laxatives, etc.). The cost was affordable, about $50, and it was well worth it!

They also have other "kits" for other needs. The big deal is to get your GI doctor on board because you need your doctor's "code" to purchase the one for prepping. The website is here: Happy Colon

Full disclosure - (1) I just used this prep kit yesterday and had my procedure today, so I write with real-time experience; (2) the company did not ask me to write a review, they don't even know I'm recommending their product (though I will send them my review today just so they can see a happy customer). I'm simply wanting to help my gut-suffering friends out there.

[Note from 27 February 2024: this is the 2nd time I've use the "Happy Colon with Laxatives" kit. The kit now costs $68 with shipping and handling. Still not bad. I agree with everything above that I wrote 2 1/2 years ago. It won't make prepping easier, but it will go easier on you. No freight train slamming into your gut. I wish more GI doctors would go this route. Maybe if they experienced the painfulness of their own prepping prescription, they'd be more open to this one]

Thanks for reading this far, and all the best on your future preppings and 'scopes.

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"On Getting Out of Bed" by Alan Noble. A Review

Community?