"God be merciful to us & bless us, & cause His face to shine upon us.
That Your way may be known on earth, Your salvation among all nations.
Let the peoples praise You, O God; Let all the peoples praise You.
Oh, let the nations be glad & sing for joy!"
Book News!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I'm so excited! My new book will be out soon, most likely in the next few weeks. Keep an eye out for it.
As a young believer I spent years in the rise of the Moral Majority, the culture wars, and political and social conservatism. I cut my teeth on R.J. Rushdoony, Gary North, David Chilton, and others. I embraced much of Francis Schaeffer's material as I could get my mind around, and so much more. So, I was interested in reading this 110-page hardback "King of Kings: A Reformed Guide to Christian Politics" by James Baird, a pastor at Covenant Church (PCA) in Naples, Florida. Well, it was an okay read. Though I would agree with the author on many points, the history is flat and bland, as if the founders of the nation overwhelmingly all meant the same thing. A monolithic view of the founders. There's no thoughtful reflection on how the founders had absorbed John Locke's view of 'religion' as a utilitarian good (use religion to promote the national wellbeing, not because one religion or the other is right). Much like the atheists who now call themselves 'c...
Temple or Meetinghouse? I’m thinking about space. Not really about “outer-space” with starships, x-wing fighters and all that (though sometimes my family and friends think I‘m a bit spacey), but worship space. As our congregation begins to plan and plot how to remodel and renovate our worship area (Nave and Sanctuary for you liturgy-Nazis), I am going to think out-loud here a bit. It seems to me that there are two major extremes with regard to worship space. On the one hand, there are those with a heavy sacerdotal bent who look on the worship area as something like the divinely instituted Temple. That’s tempting mainly because of the depth of reverence and awe that such a thing evokes. I once visited a Serbian Orthodox Church years ago. As I went through the doors I still remember being struck by a heart-pounding anticipation that came on me all of a suddenly, that I was entering into the august presence of God. There was something about the “otherness” of the Nave, the iconostasis...
(One Way to Pray the Ten Commandments for Our Nation) Since righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people (Proverbs 14:34), and because our nation is celebrating its 250 th Anniversary soon, we earnestly and heartily pray to you, O reigning God, for our country. Reflecting on the Ten Commandments, your law of liberty, we pray first and foremost ( Preface ) that all in this land would come to know that you are the life-giving, liberty-giving God, and that all would be set free and made alive in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. We also pray ( 1 st ) that all of us who are citizens and inhabitants of this land would come to know, trust and have you as the only true and living God. That we would ( 2 nd ) avoid all idolatry and worship you properly, from the State house to our house. That we would ( 3 rd ) treat your name with fear and reverence and honor your Word and works. We also implore you ( 4 th ) to work on our whole populat...
Comments