The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (ed. by Melvina G. Vogel). A Review.



I sat my youngest grandson down with this book in hand and asked him, "Have you ever heard of Sherlock Holmes?" He thought for a bit and then shook his head no. I knew, then, that I had failed as a grandfather! So this handy, fully illustrated volume was the perfect gateway into the legacy of Sherlock Holmes for a grandfather to read with his grandson. 

The book only includes three of Arthur Conan Doyle's tales of the great detective: "The Red-Headed League" "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" and "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches". Illustrations are on every other page and help young readers to stay with the story line. And Malvina G. Vogel has edited these stories in such a way that it is almost impossible to tell where she has made adaptions and edits. It is large print that old eyes and young readers alike can take in comfortably.

Now my grandson has had a taste of Holmes and Watson, and it has been my pleasure to introduce him to these stories. This version of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" in the Great Illustrated Classics series was just the right book to use for this task of love. I propose all grandparents snatch up a copy and make it a happy priority to read to their grandchildren, and especially about the deeds and deductions of this great detective.  I highly recommend this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

Community?

Union with Christ - An Application