Election Prayer 2012 [#8]

I have asked my Senior Pastor and long-time friend, John Owen Butler, to have the prayer for this election day. This prayer is adapted from John Newton's letters found here.
-----

Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Lord, today, I am reminded of the truth "The Lord reigns! Let the nations tremble!" (Psalm 99:1). Help me to keep that truth before me. As I draw near to vote today, let me draw near to your throne of grace. You have commanded us to seek the peace of the place where you have placed us. You have put us here at this time, in your sovereign design. But Lord, the times look awfully dark indeed; and as the clouds grow thicker--the stupor of the nation seems proportionally to increase. If you, Lord, had not a remnant here, I would have very formidable apprehensions. But you love your children; some are sighing and mourning before you, and I am sure you hear their sighs, and see their tears. I trust there is mercy in store for us at the bottom of this; but I expect a shaking time before things get into a right channel--before we are humbled, and are taught to give you the glory.

The state of the nation, the state of the churches--both are deplorable! Those who should be praying--are disputing and fighting among themselves! Alas! how many professors are more concerned for the mistakes of government--than for their own sins!

We and our fathers have sinned grievously against you. Our sins are many, deep rooted, perverse. We say “In God We Trust,” but we really bow down to the idol of our personal peace and affluence. We deserve your righteous wrath and curse. But you also reveal yourself as the “compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness and truth.” Remember, Lord, your mercies, declared to us in the Gospel in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Heal us, revive us, reform us!

You tell me that the powers that be are ordained by you. They are appointed by you. Work your holy will in our lives as a nation through this election. In the outcome, give me grace to walk humbly before you, to give honor to whom honor is due, to submit to their lawful government, and through it all to glorify you.

Guide me, Lord, as I vote today. Help me to sort through the political hype and trash-talking. Give me wisdom and discernment in casting my vote.

Help me, O Lord. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

John Owen Butler
Senior Pastor, Heritage Presbyterian Church (PCA), Edmond, OK.
----
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"On Getting Out of Bed" by Alan Noble. A Review

Community?