Prayer of the Repentant Christian Life

 


[My letter to the congregation, sent out today - 16 October 2024]

Many years ago I stumbled on this ancient prayer (4th Century) written by Ephraim of Syria, a Christian thinker. I have found it increasingly valuable, especially as it becomes progressively simple these days to fault others and spread fault-finding (the darker side of social media, 24/7 media, and the ease of the internet). But the prayer settles in where our blame-games should almost always start. Every time we point a finger, there are three more pointing back at us. And that’s how the prayer works, so to speak. 

It has three section: (1) take away these faults; (2) give me those virtues; and (3) help me. It goes like this: 

O Lord and Master of my life, Take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power and idle talk;

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Your servant.

Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions and not to judge my brother, for blessed are You unto ages of ages. Amen.

 In the Eastern Orthodox tradition (which has kept this prayer alive for over 1,500 years) this is their prayer through the whole season of Lent. But there is a biblical fittingness to this prayer that should make it useful to us at all times. The first thesis Martin Luther posted in his 95 says it well, “When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, ``Repent'' (Mt 4:17), he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance.” The repentant Christian life!

 The “take from me” vices are a short-list that can easily be filled out more fully by Paul’s list of the works of the flesh: “Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God” (Galatians 5:19-21).

 The ”give rather” line is also a short-list that can clearly be supplemented by the fruit of the Spirit: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires” (Galatians 5:22-24).

 And the “grant me” petition falls into step with the next thing Paul addresses: “If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 5:25-6:2).

 The short prayer can fit nicely into our morning prayers, and daily invocations. And maybe it should be the first thing we pray before we slide into finding fault and spread fault-finding.

 O Lord and Master of my life, Take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power and idle talk;

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Your servant.

Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions and not to judge my brother, for blessed are You unto ages of ages. Amen.

Pastor Mike


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?" (Rev. Ed.) by John Fea. A Review

Union with Christ - An Application