A Quietening Moment - 6 November 2023

 


I really don't know what else to call it. It just happened outside my church office in the parking lot today (6 November), around 12.45 PM. But "a quietening moment" sounds right. Here's a little backstory, and then the moment itself.

We give limited help to those who come by the church and ask for some financial aid. It's not much. Gift cards to the local Braum's or OnCue for gas or groceries. We're pretty certain that most of these people use them to barter for drugs or drink or worse. But every so often someone comes and it just feels legit. This may be one of those moments. 

You see, Marilyn is now 93 years old (I have a copy of her driver's license with her birth date). She, and her daughter (probably in her 60s), have come by here several times over the years asking for us to help them. Both are African-American descent. The first few times they came I was skeptical, but gave help. And when we give out the gift cards we always offer to pray with them. 

The last time Marilyn and Jackie came something different happened. After I was done praying for them, Marilyn began praying for me and our church. Initially my heart swelled up with some pride, "Who is she to pray for me? I'm the one doing the helping, here. I'm the one who is not in need!" But as she prayed I realized I was dealing with what seemed clearly to be a seasoned and serious Christian woman. I was humbled by my own pride, and realized that God will listen to Marilyn just as much as he listens to me. So I settled down while I held her hand, and added my "Amen" to her prayers. It was a moment.

Now, today, a few minutes ago, they returned. I was outside of our church building checking on the mail when they came, but knew them immediately. They sat in the car, Jackie on the driver's side and Marilyn on the passenger's. This time I talked and listened. And this time I realized Marilyn can't see and is in some decline. I went and grabbed them a couple of gift cards and came back. 

As I returned to the driver's side, Jackie, the daughter, immediately asked my to pray for them. I said, "Let me go to your mother's side, because I want her to pray for me." So I went around the vehicle and Marilyn reached up and grabbed my hand. I said, "I'm going to pray first, but when I'm done, mother, would you pray for me." And she smiled. So I prayed for them, and then Marilyn prayed for me, my family, and my congregation. She prayed for God's grace and strength to come on us. She prayed for God's help to sustain us each step of the way. That "from the crown of their heads to the tips of their toes they will love you and know you are with them."

The prayer ended and I asked, "Marilyn, may I kiss your head?" And she immediately offered me her cheek with a warm, 93 year old smile. This little reddish-white haired white boy kissing, with appreciation, one whom I'm pretty certain is a mother in Israel, on the cheek. It was a quietening moment.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to do other than quietly and happily thank God. Call me a bleeding-heart conservative. Call me a soft sap. They could be using me and using our church to get some quick "cash". They just might see me as an easy mark. It's all possible. But there was something this time that was deeply quietening, shushing. I felt that for all the human muck that might be there (or might not) I was truly prayed for. My family was truly prayed for. My church was truly prayed for. It was a quietening moment.

As they prepared to leave, I walked back around to Jackie and softly said, "Jackie, if you don't have anyone to do your mother's funeral when the time comes, please call on me." She lit up with a bright and wide smile. "Thank you" she said. And off they went.

Pray for Marilyn. Pray for Jackie. And remember that sometimes God uses the most unlikely people and moments to expose your pride and to quieten your soul.


Pastor Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

Community?

Union with Christ - An Application