"Enchantment Incorporated" by Zachary Carden. A Review.

 

(Originally posted 13 February 2023. Updated with Abigail's review on 21 February 2023. MWP)

For someone who is still 16 years old in his heart, it was a delightful book. “Enchantment Incorporated” is a 186-page softback penned by Zachary F. Carden, Director of Family Ministries at The Church of the Apostles in Atlanta, Georgia. The tale is a fantasy piece that melds together modern technology, including cellphones, computer programs, and lasers with dragons, elves, gnomes, dryads, naiads, Minotaur’s, and a host of other creatures. It’s a story of a collision of realms and existences in the present.

 

Under and inside the story echoes another one. This one feels like it walks along a gospel path. There’s a (good) creation. Then there’s a fall, where things go horribly sour. Next comes a rescue that gives way to a renewed creation. Further, there is a lover who sacrifices for the beloved. Inside the fall, and as the rescue is unfolding, there is a disparate team melded together, who know the truth of the situation, and are working together to see the rescue work out in fullness. The last theme I’ll mention is the role of having the heart of the king’s son, and what that means in the life of the protagonist.

 

All in all, I had a blast reading this fun story. It’s perfect for tweens and young teens. In fact, I have a young friend, Abigail Martin, who is eleven years old. Here’s what she says about the book:

"I absolutely LOVED Enchantment Incorporated because it was just a very well thought out and an exhilarating story. I really like things when they have magic or nonexistent life forms, so that also played a factor in me relishing this book. The main character, Eleanor, is around my age being thirteen and myself as being eleven years of age. One of the silly things in this book that I really enjoyed is that some of the mythical beings got amalgamated with things from the present-day like light bulbs and motorcycles. The author, Zachary Carden, did a really good job of ending his chapters on a cliffhanger which made me want to read more every time I finished a chapter. Books like this inspire me to write and someday I will write a book just as good as this one. Honestly, I could write a whole essay on how much I love this book but I probably should stop but I’ll say one more thing. This is one of the best books that I’ve ever read in my short life so far."

Abigail and I both agree, get a copy for that favorite teen and tween in your life. You can get the book here: Enchantment Incorporated.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

Community?

Union with Christ - An Application