Prayers During Midterm Elections...And Beyond.

 

(I took one of the carvings I was working on with me to the polls as I voted. That's him on top of the sign, proudly wearing his "I Voted" sticker.)

As I listen to people talk, as I hear Christians fret, and as I watch news and social media begin to rouse from it's breathlessness, I thought of some prayers that might be useful for this season. In fact, these would always be useful. I took them from the Book of Common Prayer years ago, and tweaked them in ways that seem fuller and better to me. I hope you find them beneficial. Do feel free to share them with others.

----

Most loving heavenly Father, who desires us

To give thanks for all things;

To fear nothing but you;

And to cast all our care upon you who cares for us:

Preserve us from faithless fears

And worldly anxieties,

And grant that no clouds of this mortal life 

May hide from us the light of your immortal love

Which you have manifested unto us in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

----

O God, you made us in your own image, and have redeemed us through your Son Jesus Christ:

Look with compassion on the whole human family, but especially the people of this land.

Remove all deceptiveness, conniving, slander, and underhandedness;

Take away all arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts;

Break down the walls that separate us;

Unite us in bonds of love;

And work through the potential turmoil to bring about your good purpose for the earth;

That, in your good time, all tribes, nations, clans, and peoples 

May serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne. Amen.

----

O God, the Creator of all, 

Whose Son, Jesus Christ, commanded us to love even our enemies: 

Lead them and us from prejudice to truth;

Deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge

To faith, hope and love.

And in your good time, enable us all to stand reconciled with each other and before you in Jesus Christ,

In whose name we pray. Amen.


Pastor Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

Community?

Union with Christ - An Application