Prayer from 1 Timothy 4

 


I’m out camping in Southeastern Oklahoma. It’s been cold and nippy. But the stars - oh, the millions and billions of stars - are plentiful. The mornings are dark and quiet, and perfect for morning devotional reading and prayer. 

This morning one of my readings was through 1 Timothy 4. Paul’s words to Timothy about what it means to be a good minister. His words turned my heart toward prayer. Here is the prayer that arose:

  1. A good diakonos of Christ Jesus:
  2. Trained in the words of the faith,
  3. Trained in the words of good doctrine (contra 1:3 and 6:3),
  4. Followed by the diakonos of Christ Jesus, himself,
  5. And trained in godliness, himself.

Lord, aid me in being a good diakonos. Seminary and reading widely and the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms (and other Confessions) have trained me in the words of the faith and good doctrine. Help me to persist in them.

But following them, training myself in godliness, setting an example before the believers - Lord, I need your special aid! To keep a close watch on myself and the teaching! Oh Lord, please. In speech - please. In conduct - please. In love - please. In faith - please. In purity - please. May my progress be evident to all. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

Community?

Union with Christ - An Application