This Denomination of Christ's Church

 


What is a denomination? How are we to think about denominations? Are our denominations wrong in the eyes of God? Those are significant questions to address. I've written a few things through the years on this subject. For example, in 2016 I wrote a letter to a woman who said denominations are a sin and we should get rid of them. My response can be found in "A Letter on Denominations". I also reviewed a book by Peter Leithart, a volume that perceptively describes how we should view our present denominational situation, and hold it lightly as we always lean toward the day when the Father will finally answer his Son's prayer in John 17, and all God's people will be one. That review was on Leithart's book "The End of Protestantism". But, today, I am simply going to describe my prayerful approach that I recently picked up. It's not earth shattering, but it has already been helpful for me.

First, what is a denomination? A denomination is a name or designation of a larger class of things. For example, the picture at the top of this post is of American cash. The class is one thing (money, currency, etc.) but it is pictured in multiple denominations of $20s, $50s, $10s, etc. So, to put it in a popular way, there's unity in the diversity. Every time we ask the teller at the credit union or bank, "I would like to withdraw $1000 from my account" they ask, "How would you like it?" And then we tell them in $20s and $50s, or something like this. The unity is that it is American currency, and the diversity is in the types of legal tender. the denominations. 

This brings us to think about our Christian denominations. To do this I'm going to describe what I have stumbled on in my prayers and how I have begun to talk about my particular subset of the Christian church. I have recently started praying "Lord, for this denomination of your church, would you, please, (...)." It's not huge. It doesn't sound profound. But I think it is helpful. If for no one else, it's helpful to me.

The major reason that I have found this useful is because our tendency (or maybe, it's just my tendency) is to think that this or that denomination I belong to (place in there which ever Christian denomination you want) is THE church. But using this description restrains such grandiose illusions. "This denomination of your church" is a healthy reminder that my particular tradition is not the be-all-to-end-all of Christ's church, but is only the $10 bill or $20 bill part of his church. For me that's a refreshing realization.

Because our tendency (again, maybe it's only my tendency) is to think that "my" denomination (or independent fellowship or fraternity) is THE church, then that way of talking and thinking might be what exacerbates tensions and arguments internally and externally. It could, possibly, be the unspoken fuel that fires up our sectarian tendencies inside our denominational fellowships. If I assume (as an unspoken, unrecognized presupposition) that "my" denomination is THE church, then I will likely fight, tooth-and-nail, for what I suppose is the purer, righter, or more holy conclusion. 

Yet, if I recognize that Christ's church is bigger than "my" denomination, but includes it, then it helps me to perceive that Christ's world rescue operation doesn't rise or set, live or die, succeed or fail, because of my denomination. I think this is a way that helps me to move aside from denominational hubris to denominational humility. My denomination is just part of Christ's church. My denomination will not make-or-break our Lord's dominion because we failed in this decision or succeeded in that one. It helps to move me aside from hubris to humility because it emphasizes that "this denomination" is inside Christ's bigger flock, his larger fold (John 10:14-16) along with the other sheep.

None of this excuses me, or my denomination, from striving for purity, peace, unity, and edification. Those four biblical qualities need to always be our goal. Or, as Paul enjoined Timothy in the face of heresies, ethically compromising instructors, and divisive teachers, "The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith" (1 Timothy 1:5). And so, holding the line is good, and right, and our bounden duty (to quote the Book of Common Prayer). But to do so with denominational humility and not hubris.

To end, this is simply what I have come to do recently. I'm not telling anyone else to do it. I'm not chiding or deriding anyone who doesn't follow this path. I'm really only reflecting "out-loud," as they say. So, when you hear me pray for the Presbyterian Church in America, or talk about it, don't be surprised when you hear me utter, "this denomination of Christ's church."

Pastor Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"On Getting Out of Bed" by Alan Noble. A Review

Community?