"Piercing Heaven: Prayers of the Puritans" ed. by Robert Elmer. A Review


Most people I know have learned to pray from listening to others, in one way or the other. That's the value of a new 240-page hardback "Piercing Heaven: Prayers of the Puritans" edited by the prolific author, Robert Elmer. It is handy and pleasing to the eyes, and the print is easy to look at. This breviary is a worthy investment for one's own times of prayer, and suppliants will learn at the feet of some devotional doyens.

"Piercing Heaven" draws from Puritan authors arising out of the 16th to 18th centuries. Anglican priests, nonconformists, congregationalists and others are gathered into these pages to lead the way to the throne of grace, where we may find grace to help in time of need. Many of the names will be known to most, with a few surprises here and there.

The editor has taken matured prayers, modernized them, and formatted them in such a way that they breathe a quiet repose. Though a particular petition may fill a page or two, Elmer has broken it out into short, one to three sentence paragraphs. This has the effect of allowing a beseecher space to reflect on, revel in, and ruminate over each set of requests. I found this very helpful as I employed these petitions for my own congregation recently.

Further, the editor has culled and collected prayers that glow with devotional warmth. Whether it's Robert Hawker's "The Father Planned it All" or Anthony Burgess's "Overwhelmed by Your Grace," one will find fodder to feed their prayers. Likely, a few will be stopped on their knees, tearfully crying out, "Lord, I am hunted with temptation. Either you must pardon it, or I am condemned. Kill it, or I will be a slave to it...I will be your true prisoner. I would rather die by the hand of your justice than continue fighting against your mercy" (82). Hearts will be touched.

"Piercing Heaven" is a keeper! I've already recommended it to individuals in my congregation. Busy pastors can take it up with profit. Dry and desiccated hearts will find it replenishing and refreshing their dearth. I highly recommend the book.

My thanks to Lexham Press. They sent me a copy I requested and used for this review. They demanded nothing from me other than an honest analysis, which I have happily given.

You can obtain a copy here: Piercing Heaven

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"On Getting Out of Bed" by Alan Noble. A Review

Community?