"The LORD Is My Shepherd" Congregational Prayer - 25 August 2019

(This congregational prayer is shepherded by Psalm 23)


The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. O God, our hearts are full of thankfulness because we have been richly endowed with your goodness: health, strength, hope, stamina, happiness, sustenance, homes and satisfaction. And even when in your good providence these are withheld from us, we have you, our greatest good and deepest joy! Thank you! Truly, the LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want!

He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Give strength, aid, increasing love, durable commitment and unwavering godliness to fill and replenish your church here, as well as Metropolitan Church of Spencer, New Hope Church of Christ, Redeemed Christian Church, the Church of the Bride and your church throughout the world. O great Shepherd of your people, where there are wolves in sheep’s’ clothing in your flock, expose and remove them that your people may be restored. Bring your people refreshment and rest in a chaotic world raging with tumults and terrors. With you before us, may we walk happily along the paths of righteousness for your name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Our comforting Shepherd, who is not restricted or restrained by our diseases, ailments, or mental and emotional afflictions; we ask you to be with these… Raise them from their misery and misfortune, granting them unlooked for strength, hope and comfort that they may fear no evil and may spend the rest of their lives serving, glorifying and enjoying you.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. As our nation goes through more and more changes; as what once were unquestionable morals get thrown onto the table to be questioned, slaughtered and mocked; as homes shatter; as lives crumble under various addictions; make your truth shine out more brightly so that our leaders, fellow citizens and fellow residents may see the brilliant correctness and goodness of your ways, and submit happily to your course. For our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Law Enforcers, Sheriffs, Deputies, Special Agents, and Marshalls, we ask you to protect them as they pass through harm’s way; give them strength to exercise honor and integrity, hope in the darkest and bleakest moments.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. O rescuing Shepherd, there are people who do not know your goodness and mercy, people we love or are acquainted with who have never embraced your Son Jesus Christ, trusting in him for their salvation and repenting of their sin; and there are those we love or are acquainted with who seem to have become hardened by the deceitfulness of sin…There are whole tribes, gangs, and countries; there are Iraqis, Afghanis, Nigerians, Somalis, Hans, Yamato peoples, Koreans, Tibetans, Kazakhs, and a host of others that have never heard nor responded to the Gospel of Jesus. We pray for your Gospel to go forth in the power of the Spirit, to have open access and run swiftly, that those appointed to eternal life may believe (Acts 13.48). We ask these because you are our great shepherd, our good shepherd. Amen (covered in Psalm 23).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"On Getting Out of Bed" by Alan Noble. A Review

Community?