"You Will Not Abandon My Soul to Sheol" - 21 April 2019

(Psalm 16.10 is quoted multiple times in the New Testament as the biblical background to Christ's resurrection. Therefore, this congregational/pastoral prayer is guided by Psalm 16)

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.” Your whole Church – along with this congregation; Seminole Pointe Church of Christ, Sooner East Church of Christ, South Edmond Church of Christ, and South Walker Church of Christ – acknowledges that we have no good apart from you. Therefore, please continue to be your peoples’ refuge and preserver; strengthen your church in godliness and graciousness; keep her ever in the faith once for all delivered to the saints; stop the mouths of heretics who attempt to demoralize her; fortify the faithful leaders who work hard to build her up in sound doctrine; and empower her with the new life of Christ risen from the dead!

As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips. We cry out to you on behalf of those who go after other gods and presume on the riches of your kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that your kindness is meant to lead them to repentance; whose hard and impenitent hearts are storing up wrath for themselves on the day of wrath when your righteous judgment will be revealed (Romans 2.4-5)… Lord, have mercy on them; Christ have mercy on them; Lord, have on them.

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. We rejoice with those who rejoice, and we weep with those who weep! Father, there are many here who have reasons to praise you and give you thanks and there may be some who are hiding tears and grief in their hearts… Hear them and us, Good Lord.

I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. Attend to our country and the nations of this world. Give good and right counsel to the leaders that they may know you and lean hard into pursuing “righteousness and justice and equity, every good path” (Proverbs 2.9). Grant that all nations may be glad and sing for joy, knowing that you judge the peoples with equity and guide the nations on earth (Psalm 67.4).

For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Thank you that you did not abandon your Son to Sheol, and you did not allow him to see corruption, but raised him from the dead on the third day! We pray for your people who presently feel their mortality and are experiencing their frailty…grant them to lift up their heads knowing that their redemption is drawing near; for so “is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power” (1 Corinthians 15.42-43). Glory to you, O God; for Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Amen (From Psalm 16).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"On Getting Out of Bed" by Alan Noble. A Review

Community?