Vespers - 28 April 2019

(This evening's prayer allows the old hymn, "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" 
from Trinity Hymnal #508, to move us along)


We plead with you, Lord, to hold in your hands those who have been assaulted, or are agonized, alarmed, or arid… Sustain them in their storms and fortify them in their frailty so that they may come to sing:  Jesus, Lover of my soul, Let me to thy bosom fly, While the nearer waters roll, While the tempest still is high: Hide me, O my Saviour, hide, Till the storm of life is past; Safe into the haven guide, O receive my soul at last! O Lord, hear our prayer. 

We also pray on behalf of those who are unemployed or underemployed, those having marital troubles or mental health issues, others who are distressed or disturbed by their family situations… We pray with them and for them: Other refuge have I none, Hangs my helpless soul on thee; Leave, ah! leave me not alone, Still support and comfort me! All my trust on thee is stayed, All my help from thee I bring; Cover my defenseless head With the shadow of thy wing. O Lord, hear our prayer. 

We intercede for those ailing and aching, limping or lame, grieving and groaning… Alongside them with pray: Thou, O Christ, art all I want; More than all in thee I find: Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, Heal the sick, and lead the blind. Just and holy is thy Name; I am all unrighteousness; False and full of sin I am, Thou art full of truth and grace. O Lord, hear our prayer.

Finally, we ask you to preserve us, our children, our mothers and fathers, neighbors and nannies. Those who are straying far, and those slipping away from you… May they be turned around by your merciful grace and come to say: Plenteous grace with thee is found, Grace to cover all my sin; Let the healing streams abound; Make and keep me pure within: Thou of life the Fountain art, Freely let me take of thee; Spring thou up within my heart, Rise to all eternity. O Lord, hear our prayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"On Getting Out of Bed" by Alan Noble. A Review

Community?