"O God, You Are My God" - 17 April 2016


From Psalm 63
O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. Father, all that we are about – in our family worship, personal devotions, Sunday School classes, Worship assemblies, Care Groups, our involvement in works of mercy, mission trips, VBS, and so forth – yes, all that we are about is flows from our craving to know you and be nearer to you, from our enraptured amazement at your gracious goodness to us. Draw us to you– this whole congregation, along with your Church worldwide and Pillar of Fire Church; Redeemed Christian Church of God; River of Life Church; Southern Oaks United Pentecostal Church; and Zion Christian Fellowship. Slake our thirst for you; refresh us that we may rise from our faintness; reform us that we may rightly live and love. Thank you that, as Paul put it in Romans 6, we who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which we were committed, and, having been set free from sin, we have become slaves of righteousness (Romans 6.17-18).

My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. Uphold those who are fretting, tossing and turning on their beds because of their health, their hurts or their hauntedness….Take those who are about to plunge into perdition, and restrain them….fill to the full with your goodness those who are desperate and deprived….hear the silent and voiced worries of your people…, answer our prayers, so that “in the shadow of your wings we may “sing for joy.”


But those who seek to destroy my life shall go down into the depths of the earth; they shall be given over to the power of the sword; they shall be a portion for jackals. But the king shall rejoice in God; all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped. O God, who does not desire the death of the wicked, but that they should turn and live; save those who hate us and turn those who seek our hurt. Stop the mouths of those who deliberately and devilishly pervert your truth. Arrest those who use their powers to undermine and obliterate your Christian people. Guide our country that we love so dearly, so that the people and powerbrokers; citizens and senators; juries and judges; masses and magistrates may all rejoice in you; and would work toward justice, racial fairness, national integrity, moral industry. May we promote and protect justice and liberty for all – free born, foreign born and unborn. We ask all of this in the name of, and for the honor of, your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Shift” - 2023 Movie. A Review

"On Getting Out of Bed" by Alan Noble. A Review

Community?